Friday, September 05, 2008

 

POwerCranks

Matt and his PowerCranks !

How long does it take a bike rider to recover from 2 broken legs? Last November Matt Brammeier a cyclist from Liverpool picked a fight with a truck whilst out training. Unfortunatly the truck won and Matt had both of his legs broken!
3 months later and he was back on the bike, 5 months and he was racing and just 7 months until his first win! How does that sound!
After a lot of hard work Matt was looking for that extra bit of help from whatever he could get. He had heard about a new training aid PowerCranks and thought he would give them a go.
He was lucky enough to be supplied with a set of Powercranks too see if they could help!

Congratulations on your first win and your comeback so far, are you happy with it?
Yes, for sure. After what happened in the winter I just wanted to get injury free and enjoy racing and riding my bike for the year.

You’ve done a bit more than get back on the bike?
Yeah I’ve done alright I suppose, I won my 3rd race a couple of weeks back, which is 1 more than last year so I cant complain.

So, you were supplied with some PowerCranks? How did you hear about them?
I was recommended to use them by a friend and Physio, and as soon as I looked into them I knew I had to get some.


Why?
I broke my left femur, so I couldn’t put any weight on it for a long time so there was a lot of muscle wastage not only in my leg but my hip muscles too. These muscles are really hard to work, so the PCs made me work specific areas more than I could have before.

What are they? What do they do?
They are basically 2 independent cranks. They don’t allow you to cheat when your pedalling. They work the muscles that you wouldn’t normally as much on normal cranks and help with your pedalling.

What were your first impressions of the cranks?
They day I got them they were straight onto my bike, they were real easy too fit and only took 10 minutes or so. I thought I would be able to ride them right away so set off out on the road. I got about 5 pedal revs down the road and had to turn back! They were hard work! All my weaknesses became obvious in a matter of seconds.

So where are you at with the “PowerCranking” now?
I’ve worked up to be able to ride them for about 40 mins max. Most of my training on them is to work my left hip muscles though so it doesn’t take long for me to fatigue and have to stop.

So you think they are helping?
Yes 100%. I ride my normal bike on the road and don’t feel a thing in my hips. 5 mins on the PCs and my hip in burning!

Will you continue to use them after your injuries are all fixed up?
Yes defiantly, I’m going to set up a PowerCrank bike and try to use it as much as I can. They teach you how to get the most out of your pedalling. Normally we only put power out through 70% of the pedalling circle. So if I can use 100% surly it will make me faster!



Does anyone else you know use PowerCranks?
Not personally but a lot of the top pros are using them season long. There’s a full list on the www.powercranks.com

So, what are your plans for the rest of the year?
I saw my Physio last week for the first time in a while. Lets just say she gave me a kick up the arse! I’ve got a long way to go to get back to 100% so a long winter of hard work I think!

Thanks Matt, and good luck for the rest of the year !





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?